Concrete Driveway / Sidewalk / Curb & Gutter

Residential property owners can complete the Concrete Install Application and pay applicable fees to request that the City modify or install a new driveway entrance, sidewalk, or curb and gutter along the property that serves as the owner's primary residence. If a contractor is installing these things for a property owner, a Right-of-Way Permit will need to be obtained instead. If approved by Engineering, the construction request will then be sent to the City of Salem Streets and General Maintenance Department for installation.

Concrete Install Application (PDF)

Right-of-Way Permit

A Right-Of-Way Permit is required for any work done within the City of Salem Right-of-Way. Once the application is approved and payment has been submitted, the permit will be issued and work may begin. In addition to obtaining the Right-Of-Way Permit, please email the Community Development Department or call 540-375-3032 at least 48 hours in advance of any lane or roadway closures. If any type of closure is necessary there must be a Right-of-Way Permit issued prior to commencing work regardless of whether or not any new permanent structures are being installed.

Special Event Road Closure

If a special event necessitates a temporary road closure, permission will need to be granted by the City Manager's office prior to closure. Any applicant wanting to close a City of Salem street for the specific purpose of a special event must file the application at least one week prior to the actual date of closure. The approval and duration of the closure will be at the discretion of the City of Salem. In the case of an emergency road closure, please contact Community Development Department at 540-375-3032.

Road Closure Permit - Event (PDF)

Land Disturbing Permit

A land disturbing permit is required for any land-disturbing activity equal to or greater than 5,000 square feet in the City of Salem. For land disturbing activities equal to or greater than 5,000 square feet but less than 10,000 square feet, an agreement in lieu of plan shall be required, and the cost is $50.

An erosion and sediment control (ESC) plan will be required for land disturbance equal to or greater than 10,000 square feet. The cost for a land disturbance permit with an ESC plan is $30.

Any land disturbance equal to or greater than 1 acre requires a General VPDES Permit (CGP) from the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) along with obtaining a land-disturbing permit with the City of Salem. The cost for a land disturbance permit from the City of Salem is $30. Additional costs for the CGP will range from $2700 to $4500 as determined by the disturbed area and DEQ.

Erosion and Sediment Control Agreement in Lieu of Plan (PDF)

Bridge Overweight Permit

The City of Salem is now requiring a fee for overweight bridge permits. You will be contacted by our office to pay the permit fee which is $100 plus any engineering analysis that may be required to process the permit.

Bridge Overweight Permit Form (PDF)